Wednesday, May 16, 2012

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT: Edward Scissorhands


This week on Hit me with your best shot, we looked at the first Tim Burton-Johnny Depp collaboration – "Edward Scissorhands". This was my 2nd time watching this film and I loved it even more. On my first viewing, I almost dismissed it as a light, quirky film. This time however, I found the story to be incredibly rich and detailed. I won’t get into review-like details since this is about our favourite visuals. As we have come to expect from a Tim Burton production, this film is impeccably designed. The sets, costumes and makeup/hair are perfection and they serve a purpose to the story. This film is definitely a good choice for this series. With regards to the story, I definitely picked up on some very prominent themes throughout. For my favourite shot, I will highlight the theme of friendship.

Click below for my favourite shot...



My favourite shot is from somewhere around the mid-point of the film. Edward has just become popular in the neighbourhood for his hairstyling skills. He fixes up Peg (Dianne Wiest) last and they head inside to chill out. Peg’s daughter Kim (Winona Ryder) asks "What did you do to your hair?". To which she replies...

"Edward cut it. Isn’t it wild?"


Peg says this with such glee, like she has just come back from the salon with her girlfriends. The truth is, Edward really is her best friend. At the beginning of the film, we realize that Peg is an outcast in the neighbourhood. She is known as the annoying "Avon Lady", as she walks around trying to sell cosmetic products. One day, she decides to explore the mysterious gothic mansion at the end of the street. She meets Edward and without hesitation, decides to help him out with all the necessities of life (food, shelter, clothing etc). They form a bond and he becomes part of her family. Throughout the film, I kept saying "Wow, she’s so nice". It’s clear that she genuinely cares for Edward and wants the best for him.

Going back to the shot above, I think it’s a good example of her character. She is constantly trying to help with Edward’s facial scars (caused by his unfortunate physiological affliction), putting her cosmetic expertise to good use. We see her on the phone, as she is sharing an important moment with Edward (the chance to speak with the head of the aforementioned cosmetics company!). Even her daughter realizes this is a private "bff" moment and leaves the room, so as to not intrude.

Additionally, I love this shot because it shows Johnny Depp’s deadpan, quirky brilliance in this role.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm interesting feature, That is a cool shot and there are a lot of cool shots in this film. I recently reviewed this myself. Found myself really enjoying the film, but did not love it as much as some of the other stuff, I have seen from Burton/Depp.

    ReplyDelete