Saturday, December 15, 2012

CONTEST: Predict the Oscar nominations!



I'm pleased to announce my first ever contest here at Film Actually. In anticipation of the upcoming Oscar nominations announcement, I got the idea to challenge my fellow bloggers to see who is the real expert on this Oscar game. For this Oscar Contest, the task is simply to predict as many of the individual nominees as you can. I've had lots of fun twitter debates about the Oscars and it would be interesting to see how our Oscar nomination predictions stack up.
For the first time ever (I think), the Oscar nominations will come before any of the usual televised precursors (Critics Choice and Golden Globes) have handed out their awards. Predicting the Oscar noms will therefore be a tougher challenge this time around.
I've been fortunate to receive lots of cool free stuff since I started blogging, so I thought it would be nice to return the favour and offer a prize for the winner of the contest. The person who predicts the most nominations accurately will receive a late Christmas present from me - an online gift card of $25 (USD or the equivalent in another currency) for their relevant Amazon store (US, UK, Canada etc).
There's a catch though! I'm a competitive person, so you'll have to also beat my predictions to win the prize. My predictions, along with all of yours, will be posted here on a Google spreadsheet on January 9th.
I'm hoping for lots of participation so I can make this an annual event. Read below for further details:

Rules/Instructions/Other Info:
1. This contest is open to LAMB members only. I would rather not give away my money to some random stats geek who would never visit my site otherwise.
2. Let me know of your intention to participate via twitter (@filmactually) or email (shaneslater88(at)gmail.com) by 6PM US Eastern Time on January 5th, 2013. I'll need some time to make sure my spreadsheets are set up properly.
3. To enter your predictions, just send me (twitter or email) the link to a blog post with your FINAL predictions. Hopefully this will make it easier for you, since most of you already post predictions on your respective sites. I will then save your predictions and enter them into my spreadsheet. I will not accept any changes after they have been submitted.
Submit your predictions via twitter or email by 6PM US Eastern Time on January 9th, 2013.
4. Here are the categories I need you to include:

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST ACTOR
BEST ACTRESS
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST EDITING
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
BEST SOUND MIXING
BEST SOUND EDITING
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
BEST ORIGINAL SONG(name the song, not just the film)

5. Scoring: Each correct prediction will earn you 1 point. However, in the Best Picture category, every wrong prediction will lose you 1 point. With the current rules for this category (anywhere between 5-10 nominees), if everyone predicts a full 10 it would make it too easy to catch all the nominees in a small field, hence the penalty. Choose wisely!
6. If you guess every single nominee correctly (including the correct number of Best Picture nominees) you will get an extra $5 bonus to the prize.
7. N.B. - The Makeup & Hairstyling category only nominates 3 films. Please don't list more than 3 nominees.

TIEBREAKER
Here's where I hope this turns into a full circuit to crown a true awards guru. In the event of a tie for 1st place, the winners will move on to the next round of predictions - the Golden Globes. Those who qualify must send their predictions (again by blog post) by 6PM US Eastern Time on January 12th, 2013. For your troubles, I'll up the prize amount to $30.

If we have another tie, we will keep it going all the way up to the Oscars and I will add $5 to the prize for every additional show.

Here's the sequence of awards that will be included: Golden Globes, SAG, BAFTA, Oscars.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds cool! Can multiple FTSers participate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The more the merrier. It would be fun to see you guys compete against each other hehe.

      Due to the rules, you would either have to do multiple posts or you can do a single post with all of your individual predictions.

      Delete
  2. Make sure you send me a plug for it that I can put on the LAMB site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will send you an email. The response has been great so far!

      Delete
  3. I started reading your post and I thought "wow, great idea" then I came with "is open only for Lamb members" and I was like "God, whyyy' :D

    Good luck, it sounds interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. I knew you would totally want to play too. When do you become eligible for the LAMB? Should be soon right? I'll see if I can work around it.

      Delete
  4. Neato! Thanks for the invite and yeah, I'll definitely take part in this.

    ReplyDelete